A couple of things I’ve been writing elsewhere this week:
I don’t know about you, but I was intrigued. As if it were tailor-made to tempt a beanbag-bound nerdlady like myself to pop Captain Picard on pause, put down the caramel coated rice cakes and leave the house to try out this unfamiliar thing called ‘physical exercise’.
A bunch of emails and several months of skating around the park and the roller disco later, me and my sparkly-laced quads ventured into the first session of what’s slightly-terrifyingly called Fresh Meat training with the Dublin Roller Girls. To say I was intimidated walking in the door is an understatement.
And for something completely different:
We all live in the same universe.
That’s it. We all live in the same world. And this is not a world where when we die, the atheists poof out of existence and the theists hang out in their respective afterlives/reincarnations/whathaveyou. If that were the case then I assure you I’d be founding the Order Of The Excellent Afterlife myself. This isn’t a world where believing hard enough makes gods exist for you but not for me. Conversely, if there is a god or gods out there, then no amount of my disbelief will make them not exist.
Hope you enjoy! And while you’re there, do go check out some of the things my fellow Gaelickers and Spirituality Irelanders are talking about. Over at Gaelick this week there’s tons of conversations going on about equal marriage, as well as an interesting perspective on the right to offend. At Spirituality Ireland, there has, of course, been a bit of a palaver over the Pope‘s resignation. Danny also talks touchingly about what being a New Age Godparent means to him, and Rania updates us on the new Patriarch of Antioch and All the East.
And before I go, have a super-cute video from way back when Sh*t XYZ Say was a thing. NSFW for n0rty words:
- Godless goals, godless progress (freethoughtblogs.com)
- ‘Not believing in God makes life more precious': meet the atheist ‘churchgoers’ (guardian.co.uk)
- The Fellowship of the Rink: From Referee to Derby Skater (bangordailynews.com)
- You Gotta Roll With It (girlbehindthescissors.wordpress.com)
- Atheists find togetherness and ritual in London’s new godless church (rawstory.com)
- Roller Derby is not just a game, it’s a community (thegazette.com)
- Growth in roller derby (wrtrgrl77.wordpress.com)