Yesterday morning, the Abortion Rights Campaign launched a nationwide 10 Days of Abortion Rights Action, which will take place beginning the first of March. Or, as I call it, this Friday. Ten days of action, because every single day at least ten women have to travel overseas for abortions they are barred from obtaining in Ireland.
You’re all probably sick to death of me rabbiting on about abortion in Ireland by now, but in case you’ve been under a rock: Abortion is illegal in Ireland. It is constitutional only to save a pregnant person’s life, and we don’t even have legislation for that. This leads (surprise, surprise), to dead women. ARC campaign for lifesaving legislation in the short term, and constitutional change in the
long medium slightly less short term.
Postcards and Events
ARC and local prochoice groups are hosting a diverse programme of events throughout the ten days. Check out their website and Facebook events page for details of goings-on near you! They range from rallys and stalls to cabaret and comedy to talks and film screenings- there’s bound to be something that takes your fancy.
In addition to this, we’re running a nationwide postcard campaign to send 30,000 print postcards- and even more online- to TDs to urge them to legislate for X- that’s for lifesaving abortions- before the Dail’s summer holidays. Postcards will be available at all of the 10 Days events, or hop over to the ARC website and we can send them to you.
Ten Days of Action Launch
By the way
In case you haven’t noticed, all of the links above to the Abortion Rights Campaign’s website mean.. that the website is up! Check it out! Bookmark it! Subscribe! Tell your friends! Get involved!
- The X Files: Women’s Fight for Rights in Ireland (maddowblog.msnbc.com)
- Abortion Rights Campaign announces aim to repeal 8th amendment (irishcentral.com)
- Ireland shifts as abortion debate flares (bbc.co.uk)
- Court action over NI abortion advice (bbc.co.uk)
- Her Body Her Rights (menisablog.wordpress.com)
- President joins abortion row with call for ‘certainty’ (independent.ie)
- The Best and Worst Places for Abortion Rights Across the Globe (boiseweekly.com)
- Why American Pro-Life Dollars Are Pouring Into Ireland (theatlantic.com)
- Court action over NI abortion advice (oddonion.com)