I wrote a post for the Abortion Rights Campaign!
ARC’s 10 Days of Abortion Rights Action served the dual function of marking 21 years since the X Case judgement and demanding legislation before the summer is out. While we’ve yet to see that legislation, the energy, diversity, creativity and determination of everyone involved over the past weeks has been as heartening as it is inspiring. This time last year I would never have imagined events like these happening here in Ireland- but it’s been a long twelve months in abortion activism. My personal highlight from the Ten Days? Looking around the Sugar Club on Friday night to a room full of new faces. While I’m an unrepentant introvert in real life, there’s little that makes my activist heart happier than a room full of strangers- so I was even happier a week later, looking at photos of the Cork March for Choice and barely recognising anyone.
Demonstrations and cabaret, though, were only the beginning- although I wouldn’t envy anyone having to follow Dublin Nights for Choice‘s latest offering.
- Monday’s Action on X Demonstration: Photos (considertheteacosy.wordpress.com)
- The Abortion Rights Campaign 10 Days of Action (considertheteacosy.wordpress.com)
- Abortion: Saying it out loud (considertheteacosy.wordpress.com)
- Pro-Choice Activists Rally For Women’s Rights (whnt.com)
- Ireland to enact abortion legislation by July (ndtv.com)