This week at the Irish Medical Organisation’s annual conference, Doctors for Choice put forward motions calling for regulation for abortion in the most limited of cases: where there is a “real and substantial” risk to the life of the pregnant person.
This should not be controversial.
This is precisely what Irish people have voted for in multiple referenda. What the Supreme Court has ruled. What should have been the law of the land for the past two decades. We are not talking about the dreaded “abortion on demand”- or, as I like to call it, “medical care at the discretion of the person who needs it and their doctor”. Doctors for Choice were looking for nothing more than regulations guaranteeing that women who will not survive without abortions are not forced to either travel overseas or die.
Let’s see what they had to say. From the Irish Times:
Dublin GP Dr Cyril Daly said he was reminded of German doctors before the second world war who decided that young children with conditions such as blindness or deafness had lives that were not worth living and who were subsequently killed with cynanide.
Dr Eleanor Corcoran, a consultant psychiatrist, said if the motion was passed there would be abortion on demand in no time.
Dr Peter O’Sullivan, a GP from Dublin, said he could not remember a case where a patient wanted an abortion following a criminal act.
Dr John Keogh of Kildare said the motion brought the abortion debate to another level. “We are now talking about, despite the traumatic and dreadful situation regarding the conception, aborting normal healthy babies”. He said conception should not be a criteria for abortion.
The motions were all defeated.
Welcome to Ireland.
As you’re here
It’s time to plug the Abortion Support Network, who provide financial assistance, accommodation and shedloads of support to women who need to travel to the UK for abortions. Yes, I plug them every chance I get. Wouldn’t you?
Also a plug for the Abortion Rights Campaign. Because it’s time we put the ASN out of business, don’t you think?
- IMO rejects motions on abortion (irishtimes.com)
- Link Love: This is Ireland. (considertheteacosy.wordpress.com)
- Taking anti-abortion claims to their logical conclusions (considertheteacosy.wordpress.com)
- “Doctors focussed too much on Savita’s foetus” (thehindu.com)
- Abortion in Ireland: forget bad Opus Dei apples, upset the Catholic apple cart (guardian.co.uk)
- Northern Irish women risk jail by admitting use of abortion drugs (guardian.co.uk)
- Anti-abortion bill passes Kansas Senate (m.cjonline.com)
- Alabama joins Mississippi and five other states in maneuver to close down abortion clinics (dailykos.com)
- “Pro-Life Protestors” Listen Up! (bitchtopia.com)